I am all for security but there is a difference between security and living in a police state. We need to balance the right to feel secure on our streets with the right to feel secure being ourselves. Therefore before a police officer is allowed to “stop and frisk” these following procedures should be taken.
1) The police must work with community officials and religious leaders on a regular basis to discuss their prospective on this issue and how best to implement the policy without harassment.
2) The police must have a devise to record the incident from the beginning.
3) They must clarify to the individual why they are being stopped (ex investigation in the area)
4) They must tell the individual their rights that they have before being “frisked”
5) The police must ask a question(s) to insure that the frisk is necessary.
6) If the individual is clear of any wrong doing the police must give the individual a report stating that the time and date of the incident that they can give to an employer or friend if late for a meeting. They must also apologize to the individual for the inconvenience and thank them for the cooperation with the investigation.