The key to insuring a successful campaign in Syria is secret negotiations with the key players. In this negotiations you find out what each player needs to make sure your efforts are successful not only in the world stage, not only within a time frame but most importantly insuring minimal amount of causalities. Here’s how the negotiations should occur (below)
(1) Russia wants a warm water port. Agree that we will work with the rebels to insure that they have this port as long as they work with us.
(2) Assad wants a safe route for him and his “associates” to escape too. Tell Russia that we will not interfere with the “escape route” they provide him and his associates.
(3)We want a Rebel group that will bring stability (see 5), peace, basic democratic goals, and moderation in this part of the world. Fund the rebel group that supports these goals only and promise to continue that support as long as it continues to meet our goals. The support should be military, financial and educational (Democratic rule). Understanding that we will not be creating a Jefferson Democracy overnight.
(4) We want control of the delivery system for chemical weapons. If Russia agrees to our secret negotiations we can agree on joint control of these systems.
(5) The Rebel group that we fund must also secretly agree to maintain a Russian Warm Water Port as long as Russia works with us.
(6) The lower level associates fighting on behalf of Assad are fighting for their positions of power. They understand the intricacies of how this society is run and therefore must be allowed to keep there positions even after a regime change.
If this negotiations are successful our battles in Syria will be quick and successful if not I fear the outcome to this ongoing conflict.