The Bill Nye & Ken Ham debate not only informs us about the facts on this topic but on how to be a better debater. Here are just a few techniques these individuals used to try to prove their there points and who was more successful in utilizing these techniques.
(1) HUMOR- (Tie) They both tried to bring humor to the debate but let’s just say thank G-D they choose to be scientists instead of stand up comedians.
(2) ENTHUSIASM- (Bill Nye)- Mr Nye had an enthusiastic presentation that almost came across as if he was a preacher while Mr. Ham was more subdued or scientific.
(3) STYLE- (Ken Ham)- Mr. Ham accent and choice of tie helped him edge out Bill Nye. I personally believe the bow tie doesn’t work in these type of formats.
(4) CHALLENGING (Bill Nye)- Bill would end his statements with always a challenging question to Ken Ham which Mr. Ham usually didn’t have an opportunity to answer because another questions was asked of him or just chose not to respond to. Mr. Ham did improve later in the debate but that was not before he sustained damage from his earlier performance.
(5) ATTITUDE (Ken Ham) Bill Nye came across as arrogant at points especially when he kept saying Ken Ham’s Creationist Theory. Mr. Nye knows many people independently support Creationism and by personalizing this belief he belittles those people. Ken Ham came across as more congenial and warm.
(6) POWER POINT (Tie) Ken Ham used his power point explanation mostly to show top scientists who agreed with him and bits of research that went his way. Bill Nye generally used his power point presentation strictly on the facts as he saw it. It’s a tough call because people want to know about other experts that agree with your points but they also want to know the facts.