Public officials should realize they are serving the entire public not just those that support them. This doesn’t mean that these individuals must change or modify their principals in their position but it does mean they must actively listen to all their constituents. When a public officials fails to listen they can become arrogant which can lead them to feeling that they are above the rules and laws set in effect. If you are a person of principal you need not fear listening to others and be willing to change a position if the truth leads in that path.
Here are a few ways a Public official can reach out.
1) Regularly appear on radio shows with those with differing points of view.
2) Hold regular public hearings and engage those constituents with their ideas
3) Have individuals with differing points of view as their advisors.
4) Work with individuals with different points of view to craft legislation so that their input is acknowledged.
5) Read various opinions on key issues