When a country goes to war there should be clear principles/objectives that are kept. Here are just a few.
(1) Have a clear set objective. Once you achieve such a goal you can’t add to the list after this objective has beeen achieved.
(2) One of those objectives must be to eliminate the potential threat that sent you to the battle place in the 1st place or at least neutralizes their means for attack.
(3) War must be performed with the least damage and death to your side of the battlefield 1st and then their side of the civilians next.
(4) A small footprint must be able to continue way into the future to not only prevent attack from this enemy but others in the region whether it is to keep an airstrip or one base near the borders between a hostile nation to us.
(5) The main objectives of the war must be able to occur within a time frame in which the public can tolerate.